Sunday, August 10, 2008

i am a woman

you know i always thought that i come from a nice, protective, cuccooned family where i can be myself and my way of life will be unchallenged. i was so wrong. i am not being accusive of anyone, at least i am trying hard not to. but as a woman, i find myself and my choices in life being challenged by my people. its absurd. it was happening to me all along but i never noticed. i have to fight with my dad for everything i want. being a woman, i am inherently taken as a dumb person. i have to prove to my father and to my boyfriend that hey! u know what, i am capable of making a success of my life. ( i may sound confident, but trust me half the time i am not sure of it myself). when i was doing my m.a everyone was so happy because i was into something 'safe' and had loads of time for my people. now that i am doing what i believe in, people are having problems because it takes up most of my time. i dont know. i feel so scared and so alone at times. i know i should not be writing something so personal. but then, this is something that happens to so many of us. i am not even afraid of people having opinions about me after reading this. i am so used to being judged always. i, on my part, make a conscious effort not to be judgmental about anyone else, though it fails many a times. however i treat this as a flaw and work on it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Londhe my friend!

There's one thing that I love about this post is "i am not even afraid of people having opinions about me after reading this. i am so used to being judged always."

I don't think anybody else could have said it better :)

Keep it going!

Sruti

five_silver_rings said...

Nice post Priyanka.. It struck a chord somewhere... It's given me a different perspective on you--one that is your own...
Write more, I'd like to read :)

Smitha Menon- said...

Very interesting for the perspective and honesty!
keep us updated !
:)
Smitha

Bohemia said...

forget bein judged as a woman.....as simply being a person in this world is enough reason to hav eyes cast on u,interrogatively.i guess it comforts me to know tat everyone irrespective of their stand in society go thru such emotions

ppod said...

Hiya Priyanka,
I dont know if all this angst has much to do with being a 'woman'. I think it comes more from being you and where you come from. I'm a woman too, but no one in my family ever expected me to do anything conventional. I find this sad actually for I think feministic angst always leads to creativity. I have nothing to rebel against. So what my point is that I dont think it'a appropriate to make this a women's issue....it isnt. Calling it so is a very Madhur Bhandarkar thing to do:)
cheers